Saturday, May 26, 2018

Dustup in Paris: The Men's Preview

Whew! It's been a minute. I have been working on some things, including my new logo. Pretty boss, am I right? Anyway, I knew I had to kick things back into gear in time for the next major. Things have been interesting on tour. We've had some players come back from injury layoffs with mixed results, we got Roger Federer taking his annual spring break that coincidentally lasts for the entire clay season, and we got Rafael Nadal showing utter domination on his favorite surface (with a bump or two ...). I know the temptation is to just hand the trophy to Nadal, and his draw lends to that conclusion, but I don't know. The biggest potential problems for him are in the bottom half of the draw. Actually, the bottom half of the draw is where, like, all the drama is:



So, Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic in round 1? Will there be stress balls and meditation on changeovers? Some other really interesting matches in the first round, too -- Ernests Gulbis v. Gilles Muller, Grigor Dimitrov v. Victor Troicki, who is still playing by some miracle. But if the tennis gods are very nice to us, round two will give us Djokovic v. David Ferrer. I know Ferrer is not who he used to be, but this is still clay, and Djokovic is still pretty fresh in his comeback. I'm just planning to be sick during that match if it happens. Don't tell my boss.
Really the biggest injustice of this draw is the fact that somehow Dominic Thiem and Alexander Zverev are in the same half of the draw. Actually *squints, checks draw* they are in the same quarter. I mean, what. Nadal manages to avoid anyone who can take a set off of him on clay, and yet the second half is loaded with a French Open champion, a French Open finalist, David Goffin, Kei Nishikori and the two youngsters who can threaten Nadal on clay? This is a little unfortunate -- not for Nadal -- but for fans. I mean, could we spread out the intrigue?







No comments: