Thursday, April 02, 2009

There goes that android theory ...

So, I saw a few things I've never seen before while watching tennis. I'll share them:
1. Unfortunately, I had to watch the Rafa Nadal v. Juan Martin del Potro on Fox Sports Network. For the uninitiated, this means tennis coverage can be interrupted with no notice and in a blink of an eye, you're now watching hockey. Taped hockey. Anyway, today, toward the end of the match, a crawl came across the screen saying "Savran Sportbeat (or whatever) will air after the match." Wow. Look at them. All grown up and everything.
2. Then, I watched Nadal play very strangely in the third-set tiebreak. I don't know how to describe it. And I hesitate to even make this implication, but (gulp) did he looked to be afraid to lose!? Playing patty-cake against an opponent who had missed two wide-open sitters at the net? Whatever. I guess Nadal's entitled to lose every now and again, although just last week, he had beaten the crap out of del Potro. Is this going to be a milestone for the Argentine? I guess we'll find out when he takes on Andy Murray in the semis.
3. Right now, I'm watching the Williams sisters slug it out in the semis. I have one question: Why won't one of them take one step back from the baseline on the return? I've said it before, and I'll say it again: That only intimidates people if your returns are good. I don't know that the 25 percent of the time they can connect on the shot is worth it. Actually, I do know. Um, it ain't.

No comments: