Sunday, September 27, 2020

French Open in 2020: I Know, I Know

My enthusiasm well for pro tennis is back at sub-zero, so.

Part of this is because I'm watching this Venus Williams/Anna Schmeidlova match, a match in which Venus started out 4-2 up. Now she's a set down and also a break. Venus still has game and it's too bad that she's not connecting at the right times. I mean, she could still come back, but she's 1-7 this year. Not that records mean much in a year like this.

There are a few fans scattered in the stands and their scattered applause is a sight better than the piped noise at the U.S. Open and other sporting events. There's something to be said for silence, especially in tennis. You can hear the way the ball is hitting the strings, the sheer effort from the athletes. Music and piped noise was always a bad idea and needs to go. Even small crowds are better, but they don't capture the suspense of that second match point Venus just saved. And if the regular French crowd had been there to watch Venus argue this line call with the umpire, they'd be raining boos on her. So, again, maybe this is good.

Welp, Venus just lost. The Carolina Garcia/Anett Kontaveit match has a lot more people in it. Kei Nishikori is back in action. Victoria Azarenka's continuing her run. I'm trying here. Give me a few days? 


No comments: