Sunday, May 26, 2024

French Open '24: Swan Songs

Let me the most recent to say that this draw is trash. First of all, no one asked for Alexander Zverev to begin with. Doesn't he have a trial to prepare for? Like, how is that working? And then his first round match, as the fourth seed, is against Rafael thee Nadal? Look, I am not saying Zverev is going to ... ugh, I can't even say it. But I am saying that Nadal better reconsider this retirement thing man. Unless he wins. Listen, I want him to win it all. I always do. But if he can win this match, I will forgive everything else. 

This whole situation made me push the chaos button in filling out this draw and I don't have any regrets! Let's take a look!


By the way, it is worth noting that every person considered a competitor for this title is coming to Paris either playing badly, injured, potentially concussed or all of the above. I mean, damn. Novak Djovokic got hit in the head with a bottle and then lost in Geneva to Some Dude. Also, Jannik Sinner (hip), Carlos Alcaraz (arm) and Daniil Medvedev (clay allergy and groin) haven't even been playing until now. So why not Casper Ruud for the semis? Except for the fact that not even Ruud thinks he's good enough to play and beat the best. But who cares? I say hit the chaos button since we have folks trying to win slams while they are on trial. 

The top women coming into this tournament are still looking good, though, and I think it'll be Iga Swiatek vs. Aryna Sabalenka in the final. Yes, Danielle Collins has been killing it this year. But also, yes, this is the French Open and she's an American. Let's be realistic. If Collins makes a serious run in a slam this year, it's gonna have to be the U.S. Open. 



Hey, did I mention that I did another podcast episode about the French Open and how lots of players are calling it quits this year? Listen to it righchere

No comments: