Sunday, January 14, 2024

Australian Open '24: Here We Go (A Day Early)

You know what we don't talk about enough? How hard is it to find a printable draw for a Slam. I mean I thought I had finished the women's draw just in time for the Australian Open to start (early!). Then I looked at it and asked myself, "Is Sabalenka not playing the Open all of a sudden?"

So no draw right now. But I have seen enough to know that this tournament will be too much, even without Rafael Nadal who had to withdraw due to injury after playing three really good warmup matches.


So far, looks like the match of the tournament involved Andrey Rublev digging out of a five-setter against Thiago Seyboth Wild, who made a splash last year at the French Open. I just finished watching this one and I don't think I've ever before seen someone develop bags under their eyes as a match continued like Rublev just did. I honestly don't understand what his problem is. He's got a great game and absolutely no consistency. My guy is ranked number 5 at a major and is collapsing to the ground after just winning the first round? It's not good. 

Having said that, there are a ton of good early matches. Danielle Collins v. Angelique Kerber? Shelby Rogers v. Emma Raducanu? Adrian Mannarino and Stan Wawrinka? Looks like an early start to my wrecked sleep schedule! Woo! Related: Siri, find me a job where I can take four two-week vacations a year and still get paid.

No comments: